1. The searching is free.
2. It uses a simple, familiar interface that works much like regular Google.
3. It finds citations for scholarly books, articles, and conference papers from a wide range of disciplines.
4. Your Librarian can get you full text of articles for free using the citations you find on Google Scholar.
1. Results are often NOT full-text and payment or logins are required to access information. This can be very frustrating.
2. Criteria used for selecting "scholarly" materials is not given. Search results include a mixture of articles and books as well as unpublished manuscripts, and a variety of resources.
3. Much of the full text is available only with payment and it is often VERY EXPENSIVE.
4. Search strategies and vocabulary are not controlled like database search interfaces.